Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I was looking at thread about 2007 Toyota Camry 2.4 not

Customer Question
starting after small front impact...
I was looking at thread about 2007 Toyota Camry 2.4 not starting after small front impact no airbag deployed. I have same problem. Belt came off. Engine cranks but will not start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
10/14/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have the thread that you're referring to? Do you have a code reader to see if there any malfunction code computer?

The thread was; "hello, car hit in front end now wont start" Its an old thread, anyway let's focus on my issue. No I do not have a code reader.

Can you give me as much detail as possible about the no start condition? Did you check for ignition spark? Does the engine sound like it's cranking over normally? Do you have any way to check for fuel pressure? When you turn the key to the on position is the yellow check engine light illuminated?

Haven't checked much. It's missing the belt. I just tried to start but just crank/turns. Seems a little weak. I will install belt today and try again I'm not home now.

Let me know how things go at the of the belt is installed make sure the battery is fully charged the belt off for a while the battery could be low on charge. Then you can check for ignition spark simply by removing one of the ignition coils plug it back in and put a screwdriver in the end and see if it will spark from the shank to any metal surface on top of the engine while someone turns it over. Also confirm if the check engine light is on with the key in the on position. I recommend that everybody have a code reader you can purchase one from Amazon prime for less than $60 I can recommend a good one if you're interested. It will save you hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees.

I will get with you this evening after installing belt and when I do a spark and fuel supply check thank you.

Let me know. here is the code reader I mentioned.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CP8CV7U?keywords=creader%20vi&qid=1444831728&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Hello I installed belt and crank but no start.
I pulled coil and no spark.
Sorry I do have spark. It turns faster and acts like wanting to start

At this point you really need to obtain a code reader to see if there any malfunction codes set in the engine control computer. If there is a problem with one of the sensors it will cause a no spark condition potentially. You also need to remove the spark plugs and see if there contaminated with fuel and ideally run a compression test the compression should be at 170 PSI.

I had a mechanic look at it today and he said engine has water in oil that spark plugs are very wet. Not sure if cracked. Another mechanic said he can open top end and try to see how bad is damge.

Based on your description it sounds like the water pump may have gone bad causing it to overheat the fact that it cranks over unusually fast means there's no compression it probably is a blown head gasket and the cylinder head may be damaged. It might be cheaper to get a used engine at this point depending on how bad the damage is.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician