Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a Totoya camry 1998 v6 Right hand drive, got it

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Totoya camry 1998 v6 Right hand drive, got it converted to left hand drive. I had issues with it and it was stopping on the road and my mechanic changed the fuel pump, but he used a Toyota Sienna fuel pump instead, After just 2min of drive I realized check engine light was on with O/D light flashing, I serviced the engine and gear and no remedy has been made. The speedometer gauge stopped reading as well. Now I realized when I travel at night with AC on and on full light, the charges drops and the full light won't be sharp, even the horn will not function until i off the ac and deem the light. I took it to a mecho and he changed the alternator but the problem still persist. What can I do, I'm seriously fed up.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like you may have several problems happening at the same time. The first thing you need to do is return the alternator and have a different one installed. Either the alternator fitted by the mechanic is faulty, or is is not producing the proper voltage/amperage output to sustain the electrical draw of the car. With the AC on, the headlamps should not dim noticeably. This indicates either the voltage regulator in the replacement alternator is faulty, or, the alternator is physically incapable of producing the additional voltage needed to power the headlamps, the engine AND the AC. In other words, the electrical system is designed with an 80 (or more) amp alternator installed. If you have a 50 amp alternator installed, you can expect the condition you have. Which problem it is I cannot say but the problem is in the alternator.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I'll ask my mechanic to look into it. But i still need a response as regards ***** ***** engine light on and the O/D flashing coupled with the speedometer gauge not elevating while moving. I sensed that after a minute or two driving and I had to accelerate, the accelerator pedal will need a little more pressure than usual before the Tachometer goes beyond "2", Then the Tachometer shunts up and check engine light with O/D light flashing comes up immediately. I need your advice on this.

The car must have 10.5 volts DC into the electrical system. The computer will not run properly under 10.5 volts. All kinds of bizarre things happens with the car is ran on low voltage. Radios quit working, speedometers read wrong, lights blink on and off...etc etc. The root issue here is voltage.