Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

What can I do? The car does not pass smoke check because the

Customer Question

What can I do ? The car does not pass smoke check because the catalytic converter is not ready for smoke. I drove like 6 months, and is not ready, and no engine light or pending code.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 years ago.

Has there ever been a P0420 code set? Do you have the VIN available?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have the bin in hand, no codes at all

2000 and 2001 had issues with the vehicle and engine control computer. If you can get the vehicle identification number later I can look up the bulletin in the Vin number and see if it matches the computers we had issues with.

Just to clarify you're saying that the smog station is telling you that the catalytic converter monitor test has not passed or completed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The catalytic converter is not completed, so the smog is not going pass, the model is not completed.

Will you be able to give me the vehicle identification number? Were either of the oxygen sensors replaced recently?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is 4T3ZF13C01U325584. They are original O2s

I will do some research on this when I get to work this morning and get back with you at lunch time.

There is the possibility that you have a bad computer. However before we jump to that conclusion I need you to click this link and save the XPS file. This is a two page document showing the drive pattern criteria that you have to meet in order for the catalyst monitor to finish. There are***** pattern depending on whether or not you have California emissions with an air fuel ratio sensor before the catalytic converter or non-California emissions with a regular oxygen sensor in front of the converter. If you are certain that you have this drive pattern down and completed correctly within the temperature and time frames as illustrated then either the catalytic converter is starting to fail and has not yet set the P0420 code or the computer logic is failed. I have seen both and there have been multiple problems with the engine control computers and a TSB covering this with three updates. If you can get the original computer number off the side of the computer behind the glovebox I can confirm that. Should start out with 89961 then five more digits. The link will time out let me know when you have it downloaded and let me know how this goes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i dont see the link, and last year it bearly pass smog check,

I am not sure why it did not attach. Try this LINK Let me know if you get this

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i try to open it with my table and computer and nothing appears

It is a microsoft XPS file. Let me try something else

Copy and paste this link the TSB has the drive patterns for your catylist monitor.

http://www.toyotapart.com/READINESS_MONITOR_DRIVE_PATTERNS_T-EG02-003.pdf

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The computer # ***** I try the test and did not clear.

The latest part number would be 89661 – 08061 according to the technical service bulletin. The remanufactured computer would be 89661 – 08061 – 84 the – 84 indicates remanufactured not new.

Here is a link to the P0420 issue that may be about to set causing the converter monitor to not pass.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/snd27613/2008-10-27_103701_p0420.pdf

Please do not forget to rate the assistance that I've given to you at three or higher.