Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have 1992 Toyota pickup v6, I have no fuel pressure when

Customer Question
key is on not running...
I have 1992 Toyota pickup v6, I have no fuel pressure when key is on not running. b+ to f1 jump test made fuel pressure when key was on not running
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
10/3/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If I understand your statement correctly, you have no fuel pressure when the engine is cranking, but you do have fuel pressure jumping B+ to Fp. Does the engine start B+ to Fp jumped?

Note that the fuel pump is not designed to run with the key in the ON position.

engine starts when jumping b1 to fp, but when not jumped I crank motor and it builds fuel pressure slowly and will eventually start

Ok. Thanks for responding. What you most likely have going on here is a weak relay. On this vehicle, a 'fuel pump' relay is not used to control the fuel pump. Toyota calls the relay that energizes the fuel pump the "Circuit Opening Relay " (or C-O). The C-O relay gets power from the EFI fuse in the fuse panel. When the engine is cranking (or running), the little door on the Air Flow Meter closes a microswitch. This switch allows a ground signal to be sent to the coil of the C-O relay, which allows it to energize and close the relay contacts; this sends power to the fuel pump. When you jump B+ to Fp, you are sending power straight to the fuel pump, bypassing the C-O relay. Failure of the C-O relays are quite common on these vehicles these days, especially if they are original/never changed. On this vehicle, the C-O relay is hidden behind the kick panel on the passenger side footwell. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to visit you local Toyota dealership's parts department and purchase/replace the C-O relay in your truck.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

ok, thanks, ***** ***** passenger kick panel, I see ecu and plug ins behind ecu, can not locate C-O relay.
also when idling up motor, is it normal for fuel pressure to drop? I have 33 psi when idling

They hide this relay pretty good over on the passenger side. It is not low like the ECU is. it is higher up on the inner panel

fuel pressure at idle is supposed to be 30-32 psi

on the relay, look for these wire colors:

white/red

Solid blue (this goes to the fuel pump)

Black/White

Green/yellow (this is the wire from the air-flow meter

White/Black

found it
, will replace to see if it solves problem

You can jump the White/Red wire to the solid blue wire; if it starts up you have found the problem.

If it stays the same, look under the passenger side of the front seat for a melted or corroded wire connector. This is where the cab harness sends power to the under-bed harness.

put new C-O relay on , working a lot better .
got a knock sensor code. drive truck, has no power , manually advanced distributor but truck still falls on its face, got new knock sensor, prolly tomorrow installing, tough day ahead.

On this engine there is a small sub-harness that goes between the engine room harness and the knock sensor. You would be best advised to replace this short harness too. The harness itself may be part of the knock sensor code. In my shop it is standard operating procedure to replace this harness whenever we have a knock code. We do not want to have to do the whole job over because the harness was the problem and not the sensor.

Also make sure your timing has not jumped a tooth on the timing belt. Set the engine to TDC and pull the distributor cap. The rotor should be directly under the number one cylinder tower on the cap. Perfectly under the tower. Not a bit before, not a bit after. If so, you need to fit a new belt.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert