Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 95 Tacoma 2.4l with about 175000 miles. about 4

Customer Question
days ago when i started...
I have a 95 Tacoma 2.4l with about 175000 miles. about 4 days ago when i started it for the first time of the day it started sputtering like it wanted to die. The check engine engine light started flashing as I revved the motor and eventually stayed on. After about 6 or 7 minutes it leveled out and i had no problems the rest of the day.The next morning same thing.O'reilleys checked OBD2 said it wasn't communicating with the computer.I removed the EFI fuse for 30 seconds to reset the light. There was a few days in between and no problem but today it started again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
10/2/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

If the check engine light is coming there has to be some kind of code set in the system. Did O'Reillys have a proper scan tool to plug-in to the port under the instrument panel or were they under the hood at that port?

Under the dash inside

Do you have access to another scan tool or do you have a voltmeter to run some diagnostic tests and checks? Or are you just looking for general ideas as to what could be going on?

I don't have any way to check it here. But I'm pretty handy around tools and my truck.if I knew what to do next.
My air flow sensor has never been replaced so I have one on order.also I don't think the fuel filters have ever been changed

Do you have any history on the vehicle leading up to this current problem? At this present time the vehicles in a no start condition correct? When you turn the key to the on position does the yellow check engine light stay illuminated? We need to know whether or not you can read codes or does it still say not communicating. I can recommend a good generic scan tool for about $60 if you would like I recommend everybody have one it will save you hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees. If the vehicle is not currently running you cannot get it to O'Reilly's to have them check for codes.

The mass airflow sensor rarely fails and depending on the mileage a fuel filter typically won't cause this type of problem with no communication and cylinder misfire.

Oh my truck will start ,and like I said ,it levels out after about 5-7 minutes. I just don't want to continue driving it if will lead to other issues.it can't be good to let it sit and idle like that .
Other issue would be in the summer ,once I've driven it a bit and turn it off, it won't start again for a minute.i usually spray a quick spurt of starting fluid in the air and it starts right up but it has a burning rich smell after

No it is not good for the catalytic converter especially if the check engine light is starting to flash this means there is cylinder misfire and it will damage the catalytic converter. You need to get a scan tool so that you can operate while the problem is occurring. Click or copy and paste this link for a good scan tool that I recommend everybody have. If you cannot get one you're going to need to find out why it is misfiring typically this is due to a bad ignition or possibly spark plugs. The description of the not starting sounds like possibly an injector that is leaking the only way to know this for sure would be to do in injector leak down test or after letting it set pull the spark plugs out it the spark plugs are wet or carbon fouled black. Excessive ethanol content will also cause this problem but typically it will not smell like raw fuel once it started. Based on the odor that you're getting it sounds like you may have a couple injectors leaking. You could try some injection clearing the tank that may help.

http://www.amazon.com/Launch-301050074-Creader-Reader-Scanner/dp/B0050VONTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443807565&sr=8-1&keywords=creader+vi

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician