Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1994 toyota corolla automatic brand new battery andbrand new

Customer Question
starter and I am getting...
1994 toyota corolla automatic brand new battery andbrand new starter and I am getting only a clicking noise when I turn the key. The starter also sparks and sometimes the negative battery terminal sparks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
10/2/2015
Toyota Mechanic: scionking, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert

Look for loose cable connections at the battery, loose cable connection at the starter,corroded/or not clean metal at either.Sparks would be the result of a difference in voltage and if its sparking at battery it most likely is a poor connection.

Ok...I will check all the wiring and change out the battery terminals. If the engine is seized up could it cause the same sparking from the starter not being able to crank the motor over?

No this wouldn't cause sparks, it would cause starter to get hot and possibly blow a fuse.

The car initially died on a friend as he was driving and he said it seemed like it was not getting enough fuel. The Corolla has a fairly new alternator a brand new battery and as I was trying to start it with the new battery the starter got really hot after about 10 attempts and the new battery was smoking from the negative battery terminal. I then had the starter tested and it was bad but I could have caused that because with the new starter I am getting the same results. I only tried starting it twice because I didn't want to fry the starter. Should I check to make sure the engine is not seized. The timing belt looks ok but I have not checked the teeth on the sprockets

It wouldn't hurt to check if the engine was seized. This is more information now so I'm starting to look at this diffentley. That being said it does not explain the sparks, were the sparks happening before any repairs were make?

So the car was driving, felt like it ran out of gas, and then what (?) the engine wouldn't turn over after that? Or it would turn over but not actually start?

If something happened with the timing it should turn over easier then normal.

Hi do you still require more assistance with this issue?

Pleas press "Finish and Rate" to rate the service provided.

Please press "Finish and Rate" to rate the service provided.

scionking
scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert