Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2007 Tundra SR5 and there is an odd issue with the

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Tundra SR5 and there is an odd issue with the locks. The interior buttons will lock the doors, but not unlock them. The key bod also will not unlock the doors, but if I turn the key to unlock twice they will all unlock. I assume then that the locks work when they get a signal from the switch, but both drivers and passenger switches out at the same time would be rather odd. What would cause the system to not allow the doors to be unlocked?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok now the buttons are working but it still will not let me program a new remote and the old remote will not unlock.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I would advise you to take the old remote to a Toyota dealer and have the output frequency measured. If the RF output is low, it will not program. The new remote may not be on the same frequency as the old one.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The issue is not simply the remote. The old remote stopped working with unlock, but continued to work with lock. If I use the keyed feature and unlock it twice all the doors do unlock so the mechanisms are functioning. I assumed the unlock button on the remote was bad so I purchased an aftermarket remote. When I followed the instructions to have the car enter programing mode the truck will not enter the programing mode, and when I try to get it to enter programing the unlock button on both driver's and passenger side will not function for a period of time.

Aftermarket remotes are notorious for not working. I have had this question here many times. The frequency of the aftermarket remotes is not proper. This causes all kinds of bizarre issues. You need to clear all of the remote codes in the vehicle and get a genuine new remote. This is they best way to cure this problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would normally agree except the truck will not even enter programing mode. The locks never cycle. No matter how many times I insert the key and shut the door. I ask only because if the truck is not even in programming mode how could it be the remote. Basically you may very well be correct , but I have not even got that far yet.

You probably have a full compliment of codes stored; that is why I suggested that you clear all of them out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to clear the codes using the following procedure. Drivers side door open insert and remove the key 2 times. Close and open the door twice. Insert the key and remove. Open and close the door twice. Insert key and close door. Turn key to on and back 2 times remove key (I have also tried to insert and turn one time and 3 times). I understand that these steps are time sensitive and I have done them without exaggeration at least 30 times. The truck will not cycle the locks indicating it has entered programing mode. If there is another way to clear the codes please advise.

The 2007 model is unique, as the programming changed in mid-year. You are most likely getting your programming information from TSB EL009-07. The Tundra product is not reprogrammed via this procedure, these are the vehicles that the procedure you describe applies to :

2000 – 2005 model year Celica vehicles.
2001 – 2003 model year Prius vehicles.
2001 – 2005 model year ECHO vehicles.
2001 – 2007 model year Highlander vehicles.
2001 – 2008 model year RAV4 vehicles.
2002 – 2006 model year Camry vehicles.
2003 – 2008 model year Avalon, Corolla, and Matrix vehicles.
2004 – 2008 model year Sienna and Solara vehicles.
2005 – 2008 model year Tacoma vehicles.
2007 – 2008 model year FJ Cruiser and Yaris vehicles.

The factory recommended method is via the Toyota Techstream scan tool. You would be best advised the have this vehicle hooked up to the Toyota scan tool and the codes electronically cleared; then reprogram the remote.