AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

2007 ghlander is disabled so my son can't drive it to school

Customer Question

2007 highlander is disabled so my son can't drive it to school today but I have to go to work. I can't reach the person that disabled it. Can you please help.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Will the vehicle enter the Ready mode? Are there any warning indicators on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

No it will not Ready, and no, no warning indicators?

Somebody disables this? Can you elaborate on it being disabled, why or how it was diabled.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband did something so that it will not start
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Because this is a Hybrid and there is danger in reactivating something on this that has been disabled, I have to ask the reasoning behind this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband didn't want my son to drive it to school so he probably disconnected something to disable the start. I need to drive it to work soon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't get a hold of my husband to fix this. It should be a simple fix.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I need to Opt out.

Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 2 years ago.

Does the engine crank? If the engine cranks, but it just will not start, he most likely pulled the fuel pump fuse. That would be the easiest way to disable the car and probably what he did.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a hybrid
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you there?

Sorry I had to step out. Hybrids will not run without fuel.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is the fuel pump fuse?

Unfortunately I am not at the shop at the moment to access the fuse layouts for your car but if you check the fuse panel you will probably notice a missing fuse. If you do not notice a missing fuse let me know I should be back at the shop within a half hour and if that's not soon enough I can opt out so somebody else can get that for you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You can write back or have someone else answer please.

Did you see any missing fuses in the fuse panel?

any number of fuses could potentially prevent the engine from starting when removed. See if you can locate a missing fuse

under the hood on the lift side is a fuse block, and inside the car under the dash is another fuse block.

driver side. Left side as your sitting in the car

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No fuses missing. Buzzing sound under hood security light is flashing

So, the immobilizer system is preventing your car from starting. As if it's being attempted to be stolen. I wonder if he had another key made, and neglected to program it deliberately so the car would not start??? I actually had a car towed in years go and that was the problem.. Are you attempting to start it with the same key you always start it with?

Also, please check the fuse labeled ECU-B NO.1 in the fuse block under the hook. See if that fuse is missing or blown.

it should be a 7.5 amp fuse

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there was no other key made

did you check that fuse?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are no fuses missing

Is the fuse i mentioned above blown?

The hood latch has a switch for the security system. Make sure that switch is plugged in and close the hood. Then try using your key pad to deactivate the alarm. If that is also a bust then I will have to opt out in hopes that someone else here has a better idea of what he could have done to immobilize the car...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No

alright. I will give somebody else a chance at this. Hopefully someone here knows what he did to the car.

Sorry to see nobody was able to help you. I was hoping somebody would have been able to help you get this figured out. Did you get it going?