sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a t-shaped on car charger adapter stuck and my pushin

Customer Question

Hi I have a t-shaped on car charger adapter stuck and my pushin cup holder on the dash and I can't get it open
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may need to remove the trim panel above the cupholder for better access if the charger is in the cupholder and the cupholder will not move.

The charger adapter is in the cupholder? Can you get the cupholder to move at all in either direction?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
es, the adapter is in the left cup holder. It does NOT have a cord attached to it, just the T-shaped adapter that you'd plug into cigarette lighter. The adapter was down in the cup holder, not sticking up above the opening & my daughter closed the cup
holder. When we tried to get it open later, it would only open about 1/4". Now that's where it stays, open that 1/4". It won't stay closed, or open any further. We've tried repeatedly pushing on it trying to jiggle the adapter into a different position, but
it hasn't worked.

Are you able to see the adapter now? Before disassembling the dash you might try going through the small opening that you do have and try to move the adapter. A screwdriver, pick or something similar will fit through the small opening, or you could bend something such as coat hanger to put through the opening and try to move the adapter while pushing and pulling slightly on the cupholder.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I can't see the adapter. Here's a picture of how far the cup holder is open. It's only about 1/4". Let me see if the coat hanger will work. If it doesn't, how do I take the trim off?.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm trying the coat hanger, but not having any luck.

The panel directly above the cupholder that spans over to the right side of the dash is held on with push in clips. I would next pop that panel off which will open up better access to the top of the cup holder and you may be able to get at the adapter then.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The coat hanger didn't work. How do I access the clips that hold the panel on? Where are they located?

The panel will pop out using a door panel clip tool, large flat bladed screwdriver, putty knife or something similar. You'll get behind the panel and work your way around popping the clips loose.