Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I was jump starting with my 2008 tundra there was and arc

Customer Question
and the tundra shut down...
I was jump starting with my 2008 tundra there was and arc and the tundra shut down completely. No electrical. This happened before and I think I had to disconnect the battery and reconnect. Is that right?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Is your estimate of 8 minutes within one or two hours?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I attached the cable and tried to start is and it went click and then nothing.
Ok, you obviously have other things to attend to. I will be waiting for your call, or whatever.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/25/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. SOrry for the delay. Id the truck available for a quick visual inspection?> you will need a strong flashlight

Ok
What do you need?

Please go out to the vehicle and raise the hood. Open the fuse panel and look for square plastic boxes with clear plastic 'windows' on top of them. Look thru the window. Down in the bottom of the cartridge you will see a small wire. Look to see if any of the small wires are separated in the center

You meen check the fuses. OK

yes. especially the one marked ALT on the label of the fuse panel;

The system did not process your request.

Where are you? The four large windows are showing nothing. Nothing that has alt on it is blown.
Is there supposed to be something down in the windows?
Hey look. I am on 100% va disability for PTSD and this waiting crap is driving me nuts. Much more of this and I may blow. PLEASE help me!
It is 6:05 my time. If I don't hear from you by 6:10 screw it I am outta here.
Right now the star rating is -1.

I am very sorry, your request for a phone call is not passing thru the system; it says "payment failed".

Maybe I screwed up. Can you help me? I am slow as molasess on my cel and the truck is outside.

You have a blown fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. There is a line of fuses in the fuse panel to the right and down from 15 relay possibilitiesd.

The strip of fuses at the lower right corner of the panel most likely has a open circuit. This is common if the battery is hooked up backwards

I re-entered my credit card info. I will go out and recheck.
The battery never came out of the car or was disconnected. I grew up in a garage so I know better.

Jump starting it can spike the same fuse and cause it to pop

All 15 amp fuses and above are ok. When I put the battery cable on and the door is open the open door lite flashes. When I turn the ignition on, not start, a few faint lites flash. When I go to crank there is a click and nothing.

Please turn on the headlights and then turn the key to start. Advise if the lights go dim

Nothing comes on.

You either have a bad battery or poor battery connections at the terminals.

The battery terminals were just cleaned and everything was working until the cables arced.

If you have no power in the system (ie no headlamps), and the cable arced, this takes us back to the fuses. The fuse you need to look at is not the traditional 15 amp fuses. It is a plastic cartridge with a clear plastic window on the side of the unit. The fuse wires are wavy lines.

Where exactly?

I will locate a picture please allow me a few moments

Thanks
I can

Locate the light blue boxes at the bottom left corner. The fuse strip is diagonal from them at the top right corner.

It is replaced as an assembly, you cannot change the individual fuses.

looking at the pic you are talking about the 3 blue boxes, lower left.

yes. opposite corner/top right is the input fuses. Under a black plastic thing

OPK I looked in there only saw one fuse like thing in the far right. There is nothing else under the windows.
It looks like a link with a silver bead in the middle.

That is where the main power comes thru. it is not a fuse you can pull out with your fingers. It is bolted in

OK then what?

I would expect to find it faulty; replace it

Should I look for something burned like any other fuse?
What is the name of the fuse?

yes. The copper colored wire will be separated

It is 0 dark 30 here so I will have to check tomorrow. Thanks
Is there a proper name for this?

ok good night I will be back online tomorrow around 15:00 east coast time

fuse cartridge

Will they know who to connect me to?

Sorry about the delay, we had a power outage for some reason.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert