Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I have 05 Prius, the check in light came on about 2 years

Customer Question

I have 05 Prius, the check in light came on about 2 years ago .I took it to the dealer in Visalia, ca, where I have it serviced, was told the sensor in the catalytic converter was going out, but not to worry it doesn't hurt anything , and it's only for smog, and cal. doesn't smog hybrids. The law changed 6-15-15, so I failed smog they told me I need a new cata convertor. so the question is Visalia Toyota wants 1,900.00 to installa a new one, the alot of $$. but is there a after market one available?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

When replacing the Converter on this vehicle, the replacement converter must meet Toyota OE specs. Many after market converters do not meet OE specs. So "universal" or "discount" converters won't cure the problem, and the p-code for a failing converter will quickly return. So unfortunately, the best bet is a Dealer converter or a converter that you are positive guarantees it meets "California Emissions". On this vehicle, the "correct" Converter is part of the front price, which is why it's a little on the expensive side. This pipe with Converter sells for around $1682 and the Labor Time Guide calls for just under an hour to complete the repair. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can by anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. So the estimate that you received is actually very close. Please remember to leave a rating using the star rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

..