Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra TRD 4 w/d with ABS, 4.7 engine.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra TRD 4 w/d with ABS, 4.7 engine. Replaced 2 broken brake lines and bled all 4 wheels. Brake pedal goes to floor. No apparent leaks. Why no brake pedal ??
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The issue here is most likely rust inside the bore of the master cylinder. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture. This causes rust to develop inside the master cylinder; traditionally where the plunger and seals do not ride. Blow a brake line, the seals move farther in the bore, where the seals rub the rust and this damages the neoprene seals, which lessens your potential pressure (ie the pedal goes to the floor); the pressure is not being pumped to the lines as fully as possible, the pressure is bleeding back past the seals. There is one thing to do before you condemn the master cylinder though. With the vehicle on the floor (do not raise it), locate the Load sensing Proportioning valve under the frame at the left rear of the bed. There is a bleeder there. Press and hold the brake pedal, and then loosen the bleeder. WD 40 before hand would be a good idea as they rust. Look for air bubbles. Close the bleeder and let off the pedal. DO not pump the pedal. This causes the air to break up into tiny bubbles. Repeat this process until you see no air. Then re-bleed all of the brakes.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer