Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2004 Toyota Avalon XLS with 129,000 miles. With

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Toyota...
I have a 2004 Toyota Avalon XLS with 129,000 miles. With getting my oil changed at Express Lube, they said its time for the 120,000 service, where they change the plugs etc and would cost around $400. Decided to take it to a service place that specializes in Toyota's. The owner told me that they can do the 120K service and that I also need to get my timing chain replaced. He recommended replacing the timing chair, water pump, and some bearings. Told me that you need to replace the water pump at the same time you replace the timing chair because if you only replace the timing chair and the water pump goes out, it will ruin your engine; the same as if the timing chair breaks. Total costs are estimated to be $2,400. Does this sound reasonable?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
9/22/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, are you saying the timing belt. waterpump and the bearings is the other $2000

No I'm saying I went to Express Lube and they said it would be $400 to change to plugs several other things. Decided to go to Superior Automotive and see what they would charge. They recommend doing a 120K service and also change the timing chair, water pump and bearing for $2,400. Nothing is wrong with my car. Superior Auto told me that if the timing chain breaks, the engine is gone. Also, told me to change water pump because if you change only timing chain and the water pump goes, you get the same result, the engine is gone. Is this right? $2,400 sounds like a lot to spend on a 2004 Toyota.

ok, a few things, hope this makes sense, I do not have the breakdown they are providing but, you have a timing belt, NOT a timing chain,. Chains do not need to be changed but belt? 110% it needs to be and pump at same time. The problem I had in my first reply was more about the charges rather than the work, $2400? i have NO idea how they are coming up with this. total labopr hours for pump belt etc is only 4 hours book time, < say shop rate is $100 per hour, then labor is only $400, parts? they are not that much, so, I feel the quote is wayy too high, way high, But again I do not know the breakdown they are estimating, I have inlcuded alink just to the timing belt showing book times etc, $2400 is much more than you want/need to do on a car of af this age persay, Obvioulsy need to do the required, timing bel;t and pump are critical, any small addons, not likely needed,I would question why so high of price, Our shop can do all the timing belt, waterpump, tensioner, coolant etc for well under $600 so do not follow the $2400 quote

Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician