Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  20 years hands on,Experience cars and trucks, gas and diesel
41577536

I read your exchange with the customer who couldn't get s

Customer Question

I read your exchange with the customer who couldn't get his reverse light going on 2009 Highlander, I have a 2008 Highlander.I ran through the steps and discovered I have no current. I looked at the neutral safety switch connector for signs of corrosion but found none. Any other obvious steps I can check?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer! thank you for using Just Answer!

on your vehicle power to Reverse lights is coming from Gauge 1 fuse 10A

located in instrument panel fuse box(left side of IP

please check if you have power at that fuse when key is in Run position. use test light instead of DVOM meter, as test light puts load on the circuit and test is more accurate. you must have power on both side of the fuse.

please check and let me know, Regards Pavlin!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked, only have power on one side of the fuse.

Hi, looks like fuse is blown, please pull out and inspect

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I misunderstood, I pulled the fuse and inspected it, it's good. After I pulled it, I checked to see if there was power in the fuse holder (I thought that's what you wanted me to do) one side has power the other does not.

If fuse is good , power will be on both sides, please replace it with another one and retest

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea fuse is good...

okay so you have power on both sides Correct? if so next will be to check if power goes to safety neutral switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power to both sides. I was afraid you would say that...in order to get at the switch, you have to remove the battery tray and of course the battery just to see the switch, it's buried...

there is a red wire in pin#2 of park/neutral switch this red wires comes from that fuse - power should be present when power in fuse.

well this is the next step, then at the switch red wire connects to #1 black wire when shifter is in R position. if power goes to switch but not coming out in R position, then switch is bad. if power comes out of switch, then the wire from switch to the rear of the vehicle is open

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I can't check that without the battery in...so assuming that the wiring is good and the red wire has power does that indicate the switch is not working properly? If so I think I'll give up and let the dealer have a crack at it.

I think you should not give up, because this is not that hard of a job and you can do it. Also we cannot assume that switch is getting power without testing it. what is the red wire is broken and no power goes to the switch.

Try to reach from under,

Jack up the vehicle and take a look, there is room and you can reach there

please you jack stand to support vehicle- never trust to hydraulic Jack only

I mean use - sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, unfortunately I'm running out of daylight and can get it up right now, it will probably have to wait until next weekend when I have more time to monkey with it. But thanks for laying out the procedure...

You are welcome! It was a pleasure to chat with you.

please feel free to reply back to me anytime!

thank you for using Jast answer!