Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My 2004 Corolla is shifter is stuck in I believe 1&2.

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/20/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to provide you the access to a live phone call.

Never mind the phone call. Please answer the question

No problem; glad to help. On a manual transmission, and the shifter is not moving properly, we usually see that either the shift cable had become detached from the shift link, or the shift cable has failed. There are 2 cables that connect the shifter to the transmission. If you have the mechanical skills, you can remove the air filter box form the driver side of the engine compartment, you will be able to see the top of the transmission. The cables connect to two movable arms on the transmission. Once you have the air box out, have a helper manipulate the shift lever thru all of the gears. You should see the arms move rather easily. The arm that is not moving is the one that has to be examined closer to see if the cable is moving inside the outer housing (if not the cable is broken or detached from the shifter). If the cable is the problem note that it is very difficult to replace the failed cable in the driveway. It is almost absolutely necessary to lift the vehicle on a hoist to access where the shift cable comes thru the lower portion of the firewall.

At what point do we blame this all on the transmission and other components like a slave or master clutch cylinder?
The shifter goes in 3, 4, 5 & R.
It's just not going in 1&2.

If the clutch master of slave cylinder were causing the problem, the car would start and try to move forward. As Long as the engine will run with the clutch pedal depressed, I would rule out the cylinders and the hydraulic operations

This really sounds like the 1-2 shift cable is either broken or detached. It would be rare to break a shift fork inside the transmission unless somebody really abused the shifting.

When I try to take off upon removing my foot from the clutch there's a stall and the car eventually shuts off.

The shift arms work in tandem. When you shift from one gear to the next, both arms have to move. If the cable or the shift fork is the issue, you are causing the trans to be in 2 gears simultaneously.

This causes the stall.

in other words, when you shift from 1st to second, the arm moves from one gear to the next. Shifting from 2 into three causes the 1-2 lever to shift out of two and the 2-3-5 arm to shift into 3rd. This sounds like the 1-2 cable or the 1-2 arm is not moving

why doesn't it greverse when I put it in reverse?

Because the 1-2 shift arm is not in its idle position most likely

You cannot get reverse with 1 or 2 still being selected at the transmisison

Is there a way to manually detach everything from the transmission and see if the shifter moves in all position?

Yes. You need to remove the air cleaner box and everything on top of the transmission area to access the shift cables. They are held in place by clips. Remove the clips and the cables will be free to allow the shifter to move. If the shifter still does not move in 1 and 2, I suspect the cable is broken at the shifter

Can you reference a YouTube demonstration in what you're telling me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrkRaKgFp_c

This shows you what the cables look like and where they are placed.

Once you see the cables, this is where you need an assistant to move the shifter and watch the levers move. Both have to move.

DO you have any other questions for me on this request? Thanks

A lot more questions are coming. I'm more interested in how it all works. This way when I understand it I can tell the mechanic I don't need a tranny like he's suggested. I didn't think I had a tranny problem to begin with. This all happened on my way home so I've always been convinced it wasn't the tranny. I thought something came apart.
How many shift cables are there. Is each cable responsible for say 1&2 or 3, 4 & 5 have their own cable and Reverse has it own? Please explain.

2 shift cables. They work together. When you shift from one gear to another, one cable de-selects the current gear and the other cable selects the desired gear. Reverse is locked out any time that there is a gear selection. This is not like an auto trans, where you have drive, revers, and the other in a direct progression. The gears in an manual trans need to be moved in and out of gear via arm force moving the shifter, which moves the cables, which moves the shift arms, which moves the forks, which moves the gears back and forth........ The shifter, in reality, provides two functions. It deselects the current gear and selects the desired gear as you move it. This is why both cables have to move properly.

just to make sure I understand you properly, you said if I disconnect the shift cable from the tranny and just leave it attached to the shifter I should be able to go into all gears? If that statement is wrong please walk me through the steps from shifting in the car to the part before it goes into the tranny.

And just to make sure I understand you properly, you said if I disconnect the shift cable from the tranny and just leave it attached to the shifter I should be able to go into all gears+

Correct

Disconnect the shift cable clips at the links. Move the shifter. It should move thru all of the gears effortlessly.

if it doesn't move?

If it does not move the shifter is either broken internally or the shift cables that hook to the shifter are causing a bind., in any case, with the 2 shift cables disconnected at the trans, and the shifter STILL does not move for one and two gears, , your mechanic knows nothing about transmissions and should be telling you you need the shifter removed and inspected.

If the shifter does move thru all the gears, you either have a cable issue or a bent fork.....if the cables are good your mechanic is correct

the fork I'm assuming is in the trans? Where does the clutch and its role fall? Could it be the clutch disc?
at this point from what you've said it's either the shifter(internally), the shift cable or the fork?

Correct. The Fork is in the transmission. The cable moves the link on top of the trans. The link moves the fork back and forth to engage/disengage the gears.

The clutch is the connection between the engine and the transmission. When you press the clutch pedal, you force the clutch disc away from the engine. This stops the engine spinnign to make the transmission spin. I do not think you have a clutch issue

So at this point from what you've said it's either the shifter(internally), the shift cable or the fork?

Correct.

I may have to pay the $30 to request a talk. What's your availability?

available now

I wiill be back online in an hour; need to go to the hardware store. Please advise if you still need the phone call

Can an automatic trans be put in a manual transmission car in any way just using the fly wheel? Or it's more complicated than that?

That would be a really exp[ensive and difficult proposition. AN auto trans needs electronics to shift in this car. That would entail a new wiring harness, a new ECU, the shift lever and cables, new trans mounts, a different starter and a different flywheel. Too expensive. Too difficult. If the manual trans is the problem, you are best advised to replace it with an identical unit. Replace the clutch whilst you have the trans out; it is cost effective to do this at that time. Saves you from pulling it out 50,000 miles from now

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert