scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

We have an 04 Toyota ghlander that won't start. We're pretty

Customer Question

We have an 04 Toyota Highlander that won't start. We're pretty sure it's the alarm system locked up.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have tried to locate the security control box to disconnect it and can't seem to locate it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I don't get a response in the next few hours this is a waste of my time.
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay I just got on line, have you tried resetting the system, by exiting vehicle and closing all doors and hood, insert key into drivers door turning it to the lock position them turning it to the unlock position then remove and try to start

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That didn't do anything.
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

When the battery was replaced or jumped is it possible that it was connected backwards? Has an inspection of all fuses been preformed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The battery was installed correctly.Yes, we checked all fuses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A previous customer was instructed to push a switch where the red blinking security light on their Highlander. Our blinking light isn't a button just a light.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Toyota dealer indicated that it sounded like an after market security system had been installed and was preventing the car from starting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They recommended taking it to a stereo shop to disconnect the security system. I would need to pay a tow truck $150 to get there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The stereo shop tried to explain what the brain for the system looks like so we could disconnect it but my husband was unable to find it which is why I reached out to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello?
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Yes I was trying to find some information....

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, this is all very frustrating.
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Would you be able to send picture of your security light, I was trying to find a picture of the factory security light.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here it is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is the clicker.
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Yes this is the factory security light. So you have a Toyota immobilizer system in this car, there is no "unplugging of this system unfortunately.

The way to reset it is how I explained earlier with putting the key in the drivers door and turning it to the lock position then to the unlock position.

You can also try disconnecting the battery, inserting key into ignition and turning it to the on position, then reconnecting the battery.This may also work.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Toyota dealer repair shop said the 04 Highlander didn’t come with an security system and that is was an after market item.
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Yes 2004 highlanders did have immobilizer systems.

Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

The attached picture was one i was going to send you for the location of the factory light.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It didn't work. I don't see a picture.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It didn't work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see the picture.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Was that to show that we do have an immobilizer system?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why doesn't the Owners Manual mention it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that it?So sorry Charlie?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this the point when I ask for another expert?I appreciate the information that it's an immobilizer system but it doesn't really help if I still can't start the car.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
far this service hasn't solved my issue. I work during the day so it won't help for another expert to respond until after 6:00 p.m. Pacific time.
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Yes that picture was to show you the location of the Toyota immobilizer indicator.

Page 12-15 of the owners manual explains the system.

No that is not it, this is an involved processes that may take several corespondents between us to achieve a positive result, there is no quick and easy answers to may car problems.

I will offer you the best service until this issue is resolved.

To recap,The vehicle was jumped, and now the security light flashes while trying to start the car.

Since communicating with me you have tried...

1) Inserting key into drivers door, with all other doors closed, turning key to the lock position, then to the unlock position, then re-entering the car and trying to start.

2) Turning ignition on with battery disconnected, leaving ignition on while connecting battery, then trying to start.

Both of these did not work to reset the system? Correct?

Since the car was jumped, is it possible that it was jumped backwards initially, or there was any major arcing while making connections?

Have you checked for any blown fuses? Any blown Main fuses? This would explain the security system not recognizing the door lock/unlock procedure.

Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Check out this link, here a customer had a very similar situation to yours, with a blown main fuse.........

This is why every fuse needs to be checked,you can send me pictures of the tops of any main fuses so I can check them if you are unsure of whether they are blown or not.

There are two fuse panels on your car to be inspected.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCUQFjABahUKEwi8l5aO_PbHAhUOG5IKHZssDwc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justanswer.com%2Ftoyota%2F9aldi-toyota-highlander-2010-toyota-highlander-battery-went-dead.html&usg=AFQjCNHY6Nb10XdO0NIkSg6NBpOoYeJR2Q&sig2=qhhY9fhID8objgHTBmozaw&cad=rja

Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

There is actually a third, but is if you have day time running lights and shouldn't effect any starting systems.

All main fuses I circled in yellow, I would look at AM1 and AM2 fuses first they effect EFI system.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to clarify, the battery died and it sat for a couple of months before we bought a new battery. It was never jumped.My husband checked and replaced any fuses that needed to be replaced but I will have him review the pictures and send back pictures to be sure everything is correct.
Although we were really trying to get the car done and running over the weekend,
I don't mind this taking time. The problem was that you just signed off and left us hanging! A simple message saying you had to sign off would have more professional.Our time is very limited during the week.
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Apologies......so there was blow fuses?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you there today?According to my husband, he checked the fuses with a test light and the only one that had to be replaced was #18 on the image you sent.
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Fuses 49-60 where checked? These are not regular fuses you have to pop the plastic covers off the top to test them with a test light. I just want to confirm that all fuses are good.See attached, if you look through the top of these you can see if the piece in the top is missing, if its missing its blown.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has a tester that lights up of the fuse is good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He took the top off to test them.
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Has the glove box been removed to inspect for any rodent damage? Or remove the cabin filter( behind glove box). If the vehicle was parked for a while it is possible that there is rodent damage around this area, the transponder ECU ( computer for the security) may have damaged wires going to it, this is located behind there glove box.