Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

98 Toyota Avalon exhaust smoke when starting cold, not other

Customer Question

98 Toyota Avalon exhaust smoke when starting cold, not other times
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. More often than not, exhaust smoke on a cold start up can be traced to worn valve seals. As the oil sits inside the can area on the firewall side overnight, the residual oil that lubricates the camshafts seeps down the valve stem. This congregates on top of the intake and exhaust valves. When they open, the oil gets into the combustion area where it is burned. The excess oil comes out of the tailpipe as smoke. On a warm engine, the oil has not had ample tome to create the pooling condition that happens overnight. The recommendation I have for you on this repair would be to switch to a specially formulated "high mileage' motor oil. This particular oil has additives in it that will soften the valve seals and slow down the smoke issue that the valve seals cause. After switching to the high mileage motor oil, change the oil eevery 2500-3000 miles

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer