Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My 2004 Toyota Sequoia has never had a starting problem

Customer Question
until now. I had it...
My 2004 Toyota Sequoia has never had a starting problem until now. I had it jump and went to advance auto to have to battery check. they said it was the alternator and the battery was good. I got a new alternator,oil change ,fuel filter and belt all change.
Battery check out again, they say it's good.
Now every time i start it, as long as im on the gas it runs soon as i take my foot of the pedal it cuts off. I had to start and stop all the way home last night cutting off and on. The Mechanic that put it all in said he cant understand why its cutting off either. Please help! Is it somthing else he should do after he put all those items in?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
9/2/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

Anytime the battery is disconnected the computer will loose its closed throttle values for the electronic throttle body and the fix is likely going to be to have him disconnect the battery and take some carb cleaner and a soft cloth and give the throttle body a good cleaning, after doing so, have him reconnect the battery and start the engine and allow it to idle for 15 to 20 minutes so the computer can relearn the closed throttle valves. In most cases this will resolve the problem.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Please consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 5AM eastern time and work all day . A rating is required. Your rating me , and what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor do I have control over the fees or the time it takes to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all ,you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short

Thank you, Ron

I will contact him and have him do this. Thank uou for helping me. I will be in touch soon as its done.

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

I would like to thank you for your help.
The mechanic never cam back so i am getting it towed to the dealer Tuesday.
Im so up set about that cause its more money , and i already been in a rental for a week waiting for him. Thanks anyway for everything.

Your very welcome and thank you as well, hopefully they get it worked out for you.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician