Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have this message on my 2004 prius with 148,000

Customer Question
miles:Transmission P lock mechanism is...
I have this message on my 2004 prius with 148,000 miles:Transmission P lock mechanism is Abnormal. I have the triangle light on my dash. I tried replacing battery and shift actuator. Im thinking about replacing the transaxle parking lock relay..........what do you think? Also worth noting, the car was in a minor accident driver side front end/fender area. Headlight is loose. I replaced coolant tank and pump
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
9/1/2015
Toyota Mechanic: scionking, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert

After replacement of the battery this message is still displayed? "Transmission P lock mechanism is Abnormal"

This is a new battery correct?

Other than the warning message and the master warning light are there any other lights on? (Check engine light).

Can an audible click noise be heard when you select the park position( Noise of the park pawl engaging).

Have you driven this car long enough to charge up battery, in case it was weak( sitting on the dealer/store shelf to long)?

new battery. The check engine light was on for coolant tank and pump. I replaced both then light came back on a couple weeks later. Just replaced thermostat and light is off with no codes showing. Triangle light still on. Dealer said it was shifter cable???? Cant find cable so we replaced shift actuator and that did not solve it. Read online could be integration relay (IGCT Relay) or Transaxle parking lock control relay (p con relay) and to replace HEV Fuse. Im thinking about trying the PCon (transaxle parking lock relay) next.
is the transmission high voltage cable the same as the shifter cable and could this be the issue?
I just called the dealer and now they are saying that is probably the shifter assembly? what are your thoughts?

There is the shifter part of the system, which sends a signal to active the parking lock relay. Then there is the actuator side of the system, which is the 12v supply voltage which goes through the parking lock relay and engages actuator. A voltage test needs to be preformed at the control side of the relay plug terminal, when the park button is pushed there should be 12 volts at the control side of relay plug. If not suspect shifter or wires to it. The other side of the relay, the actuator side should always have 12 volts at one terminal and continuity to ground on the other. A simple jumper between these terminals would engage the park lock actuator, if not suspect wires going to it( since you already replaced lock actuator).

If they verified no signal at park button side of relay then yes I would probably suspect shifter.

Thank you. I ordered a shifter assembly but noticed there is no cable included with the assembly. I hope this is it. You wouldnt happen to know if or what cable connects to the shifter assembly do you? Thanks again.

I believe is the dashboard wiring harness that connects to it, I can check on this though.

I just reread your post, your talking about the shifter, as in the one in the car, the gear selector joystick? Right

Yes dash board wiring harness is what connects to it.

scionking
scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert