Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Replaced blower moter, still makes bad noise on gh speed

Customer Question
Replaced blower moter, still makes...
Replaced blower moter, still makes bad noise on high speed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
8/29/2015
Toyota Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

What type of noise? Grinding, rubbing, squealing etc? Is it from the motor or somewhere else in the system?

King of high pitch noise. It goes away and then comes back. Loe speed little air, high it makes that noise.
The blower motor was making this noise on high speed, I replaced it and doing the very same thing.

Is this an aftermarket motor? If you pull it out is it turning the correct direction and does it make noise out of the housing?

If you look up in the housing do you see anything that might be rubbing on the blower cage? A good flashlight and a mirror helps inspection.

let me know what you see with those

Thank you

The motor only goes in one way, bough it from Amazon.
found no mice, leaves or anything else.

I am familiar with how it is monted but aftermarket parts are often wrong.

Please do the checks I posted above and let me know what you find.

You have the same problem with two motors, sometimes they are wired backwards or mount offset so they rub on high. The checks will show this or rule this out.

The first motor is new when I bought the car, I havnt used 2.
No noise with motor out of cage.

That is OK, can you please do the tests I outlined above? It is better to test than to guess.

Now you have confirmed you have no noise with it out you need to look up in the case. If the evaporator is covered with crud vacuum it clean, what you might be hearing is air moving past the doors if they are not sealed correctly then they will whistle on high.

If that is what you are hearing, the evaporator is clean then the heater box will need to be pulled to restore the seals.

You can test this by installing the motor, running it on high (after looking for rub marks up in the case from the cage) and moving the recirculate, blend and mode doors to see what changes the sound.

Let me know what you find

Thank you

THE CASE IS CLEAN AND NO RUB MARKS. Hit recirculate and makes same noise on high.

If it only makes noise on recirculate then it is air passing the recirculate door.

The foam seal around the door may be damaged, if you look up through the blower opening and operate the recirc control you should see the door moving.

Let me know if you can see anything, a good flashlight and a mirror help so you don't have to stand on your head.

Thank you

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician