Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist
61695331

My 1998 Toyota Camry die on my way home from work. Was going

Customer Question

My 1998 Toyota Camry die on my way home from work. Was going down a hill and the car accelerated a little and than shut off. Battrery seems to be good and it will crank over but never fires up.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

From your description it sounds like your timing belt has broke. Try removing the oil cap and have someone turn the engine over you should be able to see the camshaft moving.

If you can not see the camshaft, possible baffle in the way, you will need to remove the upper plastic timing cover and check the belt. With the cover removed turn the engine over the camshaft gear should be turning.

You should be able to remove the upper 10mm bolts and just pull back the cover to look at the belt without fully removing the cover.