Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My toyota tundra will not star and my battery is new. It's a

Customer Question
my toyota tundra will not...
my toyota tundra will not star and my battery is new. It's a 2006.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
8/24/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When you say it does not start, do you mean that the engine does not spin over?

The key will not make the ignition even click. It does nothing. Can it be a fuse?

Yes. There is a very large amperage fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. Might be labeled ALT or MAIN. 80 amps or bigger. Rectangular cartridge with a clear plastic window to see the fusible wire.

The flashers came on and the horn alarm and can't turn be turned off. I disconected the horns.

oh. That means that the security system has activated. Is your alarm a Toyota unit or non-Toyota?

That fuse is OK there is a 40amp fuse just outside the fuse box with one wire going into it but no wire coming out. It that correct?

I think that is ok. Let's do this: Get in the truck. Put the key in the ignition. Turn the key to ON, wait one second. Turn the key to off . one second later, repeat this 4 more times and then try to start. This is the defeat for the Toyota alarm.

That didn't do anything. I also realized my flashers are on and will not turn off.

If the flashers are on and wont shut off, this is the sign that the alarm system is active. The flashers are part of the alarm. If the sequence I gave you does not work, you may not have a Toyota alarm system

It is easy to miss the sequence. The on off on is at one second intervals. On and then off 5 times

I'll try again. What is supposed to happen?

It should start when you turn the key to start after the 5th on/off sequence

I tried it two more times and still didn't work.

You might not have the Toyota system.

I just tried it again and I did hear a very slight beep after the 5th time but still didn't start. What's next?

You need to ascertain what type of alarm system you have

How?

This would involve disassembly of the underside of the dashboard and steering column. Trace the wires form the ignition switch to the controller box

You might want to leave that to a Toyota tech.

There must be an easier way to find out what type. Where is the location of the controller box under the hood or under the dashboard?
does that mean there is nothing else to try?

Under the dash board on the driver side or under the driver seat.

There is nothing under the driver seat

It would be under the dash on the driver side. You will need ot take the lower part of the dash off

Are you sure that's the problem?

Without looking at it, that is what I believe. It is also the first thing I would be looking at if this vehicle was in my shop.

This will take a while will you still be her when I come back?

I will be online more hour.

I'm not set up with the proper tools to take the dash apart. If we end this conversation, how much will I be charged?

Nothing. You are not charged at this point in time

Thank you I'm going to call Toyota and have them pick it up. Thank you for trying to help!

ok. Good luck

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert