scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

TIMING MARKS 2013 PRIUS 1.8L

Customer Question

TIMING MARKS FOR A 2013 PRIUS 1.8L
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

hello, May I ask why you need this ? what you are doing and why? kind of unsure at what stage you are at and what you have done thus far etc

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
replaced head gasket. (it was bad) Put everything back together and now getting p0016. I believe I am using wrong timing mark on camshaft timing gear.
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

ok, if there wa s a way to "talk" you through this I would but it is more complex than than,even I have to reference the repair manual when doing the setup/timing. and,, not needed to be that often so,, I have included 2 links, One shows basic marks the other? is start to finish doing cams to include timing chain etc and all steps must be followed. 2 links attached

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it the line on the camshaft closest to the alignment pin?
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

dont understand, I sent the diagram showing how to layout cam marks then have to match to colored links on the chain, Rectangle is to top, others off to the sides, The link as portion of what I sent is attached

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am talking about the other cam. There are 3 marks (long lines) on the timing gear.
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

I do not remember that on that gear, I will opt out and open the post up to the other experts, One may have done this recently, One should be along soon to help, Please ave the rating for the expert that helps, Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
The knock pin should be at about 1/2 way between 1 and 2 oclock position, about 40 degrees past straight up 12 o-clock position
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no real timing mark on the that gear just put the pin at 40 deg. past 12? I have 2 yellow links on the chain, do I put it on the first, second, or in the middle of them?
Expert:  scionking replied 2 years ago.

Index the lobes of the cams as they appear in the pictures, then the chain is paint marked for cams and crank sprocket. Also be warned the chain likes to slack up on the back side of the crank sprocket and skip a tooth while you installing tensioner. What i like to do is line up all paint marks, remove oil seal, install cover then install, tensioner and release it, with oil seal removed you can check mark on the crank to see if it lines up with paint on chain. you probably had it all lined up right be fore it just slipped a tooth when you installed the tensioner.