Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

1994 Toyota Camry 2.2 Automatic made in Japan: Distributor

Customer Question

1994 Toyota Camry 2.2 Automatic made in Japan: Distributor went bad and was replaced. Now on 3rd distributor...it skips and then quits and will not crank even the next day. No spark. After first replacement took it on 1300 mile trip and no problems. Failed the next week. Replaced and failed within a week of local driving. Replaced and starts skipping the same day. A little smoke but then quit and still skips. What is killing the distributor?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Before you replace anymore parts let start with checking to see if the computer is setting any fault codes, to do this jump terminals Te1 to E1 in the diagnosis box under the hood to check the codes. Check this for me and post back and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
got a 2 followed by a 4
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i looked up the code: intake air sensor. Is it located on the air filter box? If so, mine is not connected and I don't see a wire anywhere nearby that is loose!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, we have had the car awhile and the coolant temp gauge always read high...not hot but close.
changed the thermostat but no change in reading. Along with the trouble we have had recently. the temp. started reading normal... in the middle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Found the wire and reconnected the IAT
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cleared the code after reconnecting the wire to IAT...let it idle to warmup and checked for other codes...nothing...just constant blinking which I understand means no codes.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

So you saying the check engine light is now blinking?Is the engine running normal?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know as I have not driven it...I have only let it idle. It idles low: 5 to 600 rpm. Would the ITA affect the distributor? And did you get my message about the change in registering water temp?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

The IAT would not have an effect on the distributor. There are many things that can affect the temp reading, coolant level, the thermostat, cooling fan operation as well as the sending unit. See if the light will clear by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minute.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cleared it...no check engine light now. I will take it out on the rd. shortly to see if skips and let you know the results. Thanks for your patience!
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

Your very welcome, thank you as well.