Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2002 Toyota Celica, it has about 120,000 miles on

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Toyota Celica, it has about 120,000 miles on it, and has been running smoothly, until just recently. When my engine is idling, it acts like it isn't getting enough gasoline, goes all the way down to well under 1,000 RPM. When I accelerate, there is a EXTREMELY AUDIBLE clicking noise. When I'm in neutral, and rev the engine, the noise isn't there. It's only there when I shift gears, especially in second gear. Please help me find the problem before my car can no longer be repaired.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Thsi sounds like you have camshaft issues and/or the variable vale timing controller gear assembly is stuck on advance.

Is the check engine light on at the dash board?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It used to be, but my mechanic was able to remove it by bypassing it, and told me to drive about 20-30 miles. Then it wouldn't be an issue.

Your mechanic was wrong. You have a seized up variable timing controller. That is the clicking noise. It also causes the idle to drop off because the cam timing is incorrect. You need to find another mechanic and get the variable valve timing checked and probably replacement of the controller gear

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Roughly, do you know how much this would cost?

The camshafts need to come out of the cylinder head and the timing chain needs to come off. Expect to spend at least 6 to 7 hours labor plus about 500 dollars for the contrroller and control valve; we always replace these as a set

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Money is tight for a while, what's the worst that will happen if I don't fix this problem?

The controller could stick all the way advanced and the car will not idle at all. it might stall out