Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 2007 Avalon. The cruise control does not work. The

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Avalon. The cruise control does not work. The dealer said it was a sensor in the front bumper and it would cost $1500 to fix. Is there anything I can check first to trouble shoot this problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for posting

before the cruise control stopped working was anything done to the vehicle like front end alignment, brake work or suspension work?

Did the dealer try to re calibrate the laser cruise system?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had brakes and tires done a while ago.
Did you ask the dealer to try to recalibrate the system, I think that would be my first step, if they did and it was not successful then their diagnosis is probably correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know
Thanks, ***** ***** $1500 I would be sure that they to calibrate it first, which may be necessary after doing any kind of front end repair or alignment. But since I don't have the code information that they got from the cruise control system I can't specifically say what the problem may be, I would also think that thy would be a little more specific in explaining to you why the part needs to be replaced and break down the cost of parts and labor.
I personally have not had to replace the sensor unless it was damaged somehow, I have had one instance where the sensor was blocked by dirt and debris so make sure the sensor glass is clean and unobstructed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try that and then let you know

Thanks, I'll be online most of the day.