Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

98 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 3.4 engine when shut off won't

Customer Question

98 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 3.4 engine when shut off won't start after driving and engine is hot. not overheated. Half to wait awhile before starts turns over ok when running runs ok. But don't go in a store and come back out because, you are not going anywhere.
Put new coil for 3, 6 as it said coil was bad in code. Codes P0306 CYL # ***** MISFIRE , P0171 SYSTEM TO LEAN #1 , P0100 MAR OR VAF, P0110 IAT SENSOR DON'T JUST WANT TO THROW MONEY AT IT. Changed fuel filter as the customer just bought truck and did not know when
done and wanted replaced. Their is a big vacuum thing under the hood that is making real strange vacuum noise. When I checked the fuel cap had pressure.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. It sounds like you may be a repair shop working on this 4Runner, or are you the Owner?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
repair shop

This is actually a common problem on these older Toyota vehicles.

Have you performed a leaking down test?

Have you applied pressure to the cooling system, waited overnight and check the cylinders for any coolant leaking into the cylinders overnight?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I have not. I was concerned about the valves. Is this what you are having me test for?

Yes, that and for any coolant that may be seeping into the cylinders after a hot soak. These will cause these exact symptoms and codes. We have seen this often. Since the customer just purchased this, did they have a pre-purchase inspection performed?