Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My sienna 2001 model,steering get stiff when not moving

Customer Question
hi,my sienna 2001 model,steering get...
hi,my sienna 2001 model,steering get stiff when not moving
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
8/10/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I see that you have replaced some parts already. Is this because the vehicle was in a wreck or was this done in trying to fix this concern?

the vehicle had an accident one time,i didn't notice this until much later.

I see. Before replacing these parts, did you check how much pressure the power steering pump was putting out? As it doesn't look like the pump was replaced.

i have changed the pump

Ok it says that you replaced the power steering cup so I'm not sure what that meant.

Are you doing the work yourself?

Did you have the Sienna Aligned after the work was performed and was it in specs?

a technician does it,the cup i meant the pump,yes the sienna was aligned after the work,what could have gone wrong?

This is going to be a complicated issue maybe we could chat live?

on phone?am in nigeria

Uh yeah that wont work... Sorry. My take on this is that I would check to make sure that the power steering belt is tight, the measure the pressure of the pump and make sure that it is putting out enough pressure. Then it these two items check out as good then the problem will be with the new power steering rack that was put in. It may be faulty out of the box.

this happens especially when the weather is hot,any clue why?

My take is that the heat is playing a factor in this problem. When things get hot enough, they will expand. If this is the case with the power steering rack then the internal flow may be restricted due to the expansion thus reducing the power steering from the vehicle.

you think i should change the pump ?

I would check the pressure first then if its good, replace the rack.

ok

Thank you for allowing me to help and please keep in mind that I strive for Excellent Service when you rate me.

Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu