Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Celica cranks when warm

Customer Question

celica cranks when warm
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When cold starting it starts right up. If I shut the car off and go into a store, by the time I come back out it will crank for 5-10 seconds before actually catching, it will start kinda rough and smooth out and drive fine.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like a case of leaky injectors. If there is varnish and gum built up on the base of the injector, the residual pressure in the fuel rail (with the engine off) will cause the gasoline to enter the intake manifold. When you try to start it, the plugs foul out because of the additional fuel. The recommendation I have for you on this request is to go and get some really GOOD fuel injector cleaner. We recommend a product called BG 44-K. This is an excellent product. Purchase 2 cans. Add 1 can to the tank and top the tank up with fuel. Drive the car and use up 3/4 of the tank as fast as you can (the product loses potency if you allow it to sit over a couple weeks). Then repeat the process with the other can of cleaner. You should notice results rather quickly, and, you will probably notice a bit of performance gain as the product will also clean the carbon off of the valve faces inside the cylinder head. The BG 44K is found at auto parts stores, you can look it up on the internet for a retailer near you. This is exactly what I would be doing if your car was in my shop.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I could see where that could happen but why would the temperature make a difference. if the car sits overnight it will start right up without hessitation.
The fuel evaporates overnight. However, This situation is especially compounded on hot days if you have a high concentration of ethanol in the fuel. If you are using E-85 gas, you should stop using it. I would recommend trying a different brand of fuel. If the ethanol content is too high, it actually boils in the fuel rail and creates an air gap. The fuel pressure cannot push the fuel to the injectors until the air is bled out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok let me try the fuel cleaner, i can run a tank of gas through in a good day or two and see if that helps. it does seem like the issue is getting worse, this morning I was told the car also took a while to start after sitting all night

Ok. Please update me later A positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i've gone through one tank of gas so far with one can of the recommended fuel cleaner, still no difference
Please advise what your fuel pressure is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there a specific proceedure to check the fuel pressure on the celica? the shop that did the original fuel check only did it digitally.
You attach a special fitting to the fuel line and then this connects to a mechanical gauge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I was hoping for something more specific, I know this vehicle doesn't have a return line so I would have to figure out a t sytem in the line to test the whole system. I am going to look up and order the appropriate gauge. additional information, after the car starts it will idle extremely rough for 5-10 seconds then clear up, check engine light on showing p0300
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the code mean anything in terms of diagnosis?

A p0300 code indicates a multi cylinder misfire. This is most likely due to the engine not getting enough fuel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok the car is still cranking hard before starting, if you catch that the car wont start right away and cycle the key it will start right up. everything in the tank as officially been changed, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel strainer, all orings and fuel pressure regulator. in the engine compartment we did air filter, spark plugs, cleaned the maf. started the car and sprayed all vacuum lines with cleaner to see if I could get a reaction...no apparent leaks. took the throttle body off the car and removed the iac. cleaned everything (pretty gummy) and reinstalled. we ran the two bottles of injector cleaner as perscribed above...all this with no change in the sympton. whats left?
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Replace the IAC. I have tried to clean IACs over 50 different times. Nothing works for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the iac cause the hessitation during start?

The IAC gives the car a specific amount of air into the throttle body. if it closes down a bit too far the car will stall at idle. If it does not open properly, the car will not start, as it does not have enough air. the IAC controls all of the idle speed. If it is not working, your idle speed will be so low that the engine does not start.