Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have purchased a motor home and would like to tow my 2008

Customer Question

I have purchased a motor home and would like to tow my 2008 Rav 4. Is there anything I should know before purchasing a towing rig?
Sure
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Is the RAV 4 a 2WD or 4WD?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 wd
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately Toyota does not recommend flat towing this vehicle. You have the front automatics which would be spinning the center differential and internal workings of the automatic transmission and would get destroyed. Then there's the rear differential with the electronic disconnect coupler and the rear driveshaft. All these components are not designed to be spinning without the engine running. Or in drive. Your best bet would be to purchase a lightweight trailer and flat trailer. If you had a***** version you could use a tow Dolly and run the front wheels up on a tow Dolly and allow the rear wheels to just roll along there would be nothing spinning at that point except the wheel bearings on the rear.