Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Sienna: ok I'll give it a whirl. I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna

Customer Question
ok I'll give it a...
ok I'll give it a whirl. I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna and all the interior lights are not lighting up - the ones above the side doors, and the one on the left rear which has an on/off switch. However the ones by the rear view mirror are ok. I am trying to figure out which fuse in which of the 3 fuseboxes is involved with this. The abbreviations on the fuseboxes are not helping me figure this out nor is the owners manual. Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/31/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Do you still require assistance on this and do you have any type of electrical test equipment like a 12 V test light or voltmeter with a reasonable knowledge of how to use it?
I still have a problem.I tried checking the I'm a computer engineer I can handle that. I have a voltmeter. I also have a bunch of fuses, what I don't want to do is to pull every fuse in the vehicle if possible to find the blown fuse - these are low profile fuses and are hard to pull even with a thick pair of electricians needlenose pliers, - then have a failure based on my messing around with things that are working - I'm about to take a vacation starting tomorrow AM.Maybe I am wrong but I suspect that if the lights near the ceiling above the sliding doors and the one near the drivers side rear which is next to the AUX (cigarette lighter) port plus the one in the rear hatch (I think there is a light there) do not work then I would think that would be on one circuit. I just cannot determine which one based on the abbreviations on the fusebox panels and so far have not found this info online either.To be clear all these lights are near the ceiling (except for the one by the rear AUX 12V port) and the "maybe" one in the rear door.I checked the ECU-IG fuse and that one is ok.
If you think the problem is actually a blown bulb and these are wired in serial, how do I open up these lights to replace the bulb? or are they wired in parallel and that is not a concern? I don't see any screws to remove the lens for the lights.
This is not going to be a bulb issue. The system is not in series so if one bulb went out it wouldn't take the rest out. Let me look at the wiring diagram I will get back to you in a bit it is busy in the shop right now. It's highly unlikely that all of the bulbs quit at once. Just to clarify it is just the 2 ceiling lights over the back seats and the rear luggage compartment light that are inoperative? The front illumination and map lights work correctly when the doors are open?
ok I'm at work in my home office so I can only break away for limited intervals myself...if we can't fix this today I would like to pick this up again on 8/10...this issue is not a showstopper for my vacation or use of the vehicle but I want to get it fixed before I have a boatload of little things needing fixing.....
Ok I will get back to you as soon as I get a break.
The first thing that I need you to do is to check the door courtesy switch wires. For the sliding doors you it is behind the back of the door opening. This rubber boot covers the switch and the switch is known to fail. This is not a fuse related issue of the 10 amp dome fuse feeds all of the dome lights and if the front lights are working it's not a fuse problem. Once you remove the switch from the body I believe a 10 mm wrench it will expose a little bit of the wiring connector do you have 12 v to these switches if you do take a ground wire and ground either one from either side and see if the dome light comes on make sure the switch is in the door position this should cause the lights to come on once the wire is grounded. Let me know if this works.
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician