Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

Tundra limited crewmax: I have an 08 tundra crewmax (rebuilt)

Customer Question

I have an 08 tundra crewmax (rebuilt) I love the truck but have a suttle vibration at 65 mph and up. On interstate if i change to left lane it lessens. I have changed rear trans support and driveshaft support bearings.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me.Did changing the tires and wheels make any difference in the vibration? Did it make it worse or better or did it stay the same?When you feel the vibration, can you hear anything like a drone or low pitched noise? This will help determine the frequency of the vibration and the source.Do you feel the vibration through the seat, the floor or the steering wheel? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but the easy things you've already done so this is going to be a bit tougher to solve.Let me know as much as you can about this vibration and we'll figure it out.DJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the changes i did made no difference. I can barely feel it in the sometimes in the floor. Its more of a roar than an vibrations and seems toward the front of vehicle. When i change from the right side of interstate to the left it quietens and sometimes goes away. seem to have to do with load shift with the centerline being higher than shoulderside of the lanes
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.
That's great information, thank you.
Vibrations below about 20 Hertz (cycles per second) aren't audible to most humans.
When a wheel or tire is the source of the vibration, the frequency of the vibration will be around 11 Hertz at 60 mph. Too low to hear or cause a drone or roar.
The driveshaft and engine are turning around 35 Hertz at the same speed. This is in a range where you can both hear it as roar or drone, and you can feel it.
So this puts the source at the engine, transmission, transfer case or drive shaft.
If you can get the vibration while the truck is sitting and you rev the engine to the same RPM as when the vibration happens, then the source is the engine. But if it only happens when the truck is moving, then that eliminates the engine and torque converter, and anything on the input side of the transmission.
When this happens, does it phase in and out while you're going down the road. In other words does the noise come and go every few seconds?
This is most likely caused by the driveshaft, or something that's causing the drive shaft to be out of round.
Could be bent, could be a bad flange on the differential or the transfer case, could be a u-joint coming apart or installed incorrectly.
If I was was working on this, I would put it up on a hoist and load the suspension (compress the springs) and run it up to 65. Sometimes you can look at the driveshaft and the edges will look fuzzy. This is because it's vibrating. But I also use a tool called a Steelman Chassis Ear. It's got microphones that you can clip onto components. Then the display on the box will show the intensity of the noise or vibration. You switch back and forth between the microphones and it will show you which microphone is picking up the most sound. It's an amazing tool, we call it the magic ears.
Put one microphone on the back of the transfer case, one on the differential, one on the center carrier support, and one on the transmission cross member.
I don't know of another way to diagnose this with tools that are readily available.
DJ