Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Camry: I have a 03 Camry and my air conditioner has stopped

Customer Question

Hi I have a 03 Camry and my air conditioner has stopped working. My ac light was blinking so i changes the relay. The ac was fixed and was working again. Now about 3-4 weeks later it has stopped working again but my ac light is not blinking. Not sure what to do my Freon is full. Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When we see cars come into the shop with the AC light blinking, it is either the MG CL relay or a failure of the sensor that measures the internal speed of the compressor. This sensor tells the AC amplifier that the compressor is spinning. It is there as a safety device. If the compressor failed internally, it could lock up and cause the belt to become damaged to the point it breaks. When the sensor does not send the info to the amplifier, the AC light blinks and the compressor clutch does not engage. The sensor can be two different ones. One is replaceable, the other is part of the compressor. If you take your 17 digit Vehicle Identification number to the Toyota parts department at a dealership, they can tell you which one you have. The recommendation I have for you one this request would be to replace the AC rpm sensor. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already replaced the relay and dont have the blinking light anymore. Is ac rpm sensor somthing different?
The AC RPM sensor is mounted on the compressor. If you replaced the relay, and the light stopped blinking, you might have a low pressure condition in the AC system. It might need just a bit of refrigerent to restore the system to its normal capabilities
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the relay the ac started to work again and then two weeks later it stopped working. As I stated before I checked the refrigerant and it does not need to be filled. Is the AC rpm senor something I can replace or would the whole compressor need to be replaced if that is my problem. Could it possibly be something else?
There are 2 rpm sensors. One you can change, the other is part of the compressor. Your parts dept can tell you which you have. The blinking light indicates a loss of RPM signal. I doubt it is anything else, based on experience with this issue.