Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My 2002 Corolla uses excess amount of oil. There is no leakage and no outward signs of a p

Customer Question
roblem. Car runs fine. current...
My 2002 Corolla uses excess amount of oil. There is no leakage and no outward signs of a p roblem. Car runs fine. current oil being used is 5W-30, car has 102,000 miles on it, 3spd at, the last time I put a qt in was 650 miles from the last time
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
7/29/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
Ok, burning 1 qt per 650 miles is indication of one of two things - worn valve seals and guides or worn piston rings.
To determine which, an engine cylinder compression test needs to be done to determine the weak cylinders. Then add 1-2 tablespoons of oil thru the spark plug tubes to those cylinders that have the lowest compression numbers and retake compression.
If compression comes up to the other cylinders, then it is the piston rings. If not, then it is the valve seals guides.
Going to a heavier weight oil, combined with an additive such as Lucas oil additive will eliminate the oil burning if it is valve seals and guides for a year or so, but will eventually start burning oil again.
But it wont help much if it is the piston rings.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager