Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Camry: Working on a 1994 Toyota Camry. Vehicle has been

Customer Question
Working on a 1994 Toyota...
Working on a 1994 Toyota Camry. Vehicle has been parked to 3 years. Replaced battery and engine turns over fine but has no spark to plugs. Dist is internal coil type andrebuilt from autozone and checks out with meter. There is battery voltage to the dist and to the igniter and ECM. Checked all fuses and ran compression test. 85 t0 90 per cyl cold. Checked timing belt and marks and is working fine. Vehicle stopped running 3 years ago and was parked after owner replaced Dist. and would not start. Car has less than 100000 miles and seems it very good shape. Where should I check next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
When I trigger the Check Engine light it flashes no code but just keeps flashing
7/29/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Hello, thanks for postingThe concern I'm seeing here is the low compression, it's about half of what it should be but it should at least make an attempt to start, the first thing is to find out why there is no spark, I assume this is the 4 cylinder 5SF-E engine since you mentioned the coil is inside the distributor. There are no codes stored in the computer, have you checked the coil primary and secondary resistance?I know the dist was replaced but the coils often don't come with it and are sold separately, if the old coil was used it may be the problem, it may also be the igniter but it would normally give you a code for a missing IGF or IGT signal but that doesn't seem to be the case, a not so common problem could be a computer malfunction or a bad computer ground. It would also be interesting to see if there is injector pulse voltage, if the computer doesn't get IGF and IGT signals the injectors are shut off, the computer may be getting the correct signals but is not processing them which can cause a no spark and no injector pulse.So check these things out, starting with the coil and le me know how it goes.
Coil looks to be new and checks out with ohm meter as does the pick up assm. The igniter is new, just replaced it . Is there a safe way to check the injector pules voltage with a ohm meter? The low compression is not a concern as the engine is cold and sitting for three years. I will worry about that when I can get some spark. My concern is the ECM not giving me a code, just flashing.
Thanks for the replyThe best way to check injector pulse is with a noid light that you can get at the autoparts store which plugs directly into the injector connector, it has the correct resistance to make the light flash bright when cranking the engine, a 12 volt test light connected across the connector may also work but it may be too dim to see from a few feet away, a voltmeter may work as well and there should be a small variation of voltage at around battery voltage, anything but steady voltage when cranking is a good indication the computer is sending the pulse voltage. No code pattern from the check engine light normally would rule out any sensors but since this car sat for a long time we can't assume anything, Is it OBD1 or OBD2? A '94 should actually be OBD2 and if that's the case you can use a code reader to get some information.
No OBD on this car. Computer is triggered buy a jumper wire connected from the TE1 and E1 terminal under the dash. I used a 12 volt test light on the injector connection and got no flash. Read battery voltage on both lines of injector connector with key on.
If the light is not flashing the computer is not triggering the injectors
This is most likely because there is no spark and the computer is not seeing the spark confirmation signal.
From what I know so far it sounds like the computer may be the problem.
I'll buy a computer if I'm sure that's the problem. Is there anyway to bench test the igniter? Any relays involved with the ignition system? I know the previous owner messed with the system and she was no mechanic. Could I unplug the computer and run the wires and if so which wires should I check?
Toyota doesn't give a way to test the igniter other than by substitution, I understand that some of the auto parts stores have a way to test them. The ignition system is fairly straight forward, the current flow is from the battery through the 100A fuse then through the AM1 and AM2 fuses to the ignition switch then to the EFI fuse and relay also called the engine main relay ig fuse to the distributor/igniter,ecm, fuel injectors,o2 sensors,all of these seem to be ok.The computer will turn the igniter on after it gets an rpm signal from the distributor, then it waits for an ignition confirmation signal back confirming ignition and spark then turns the injectors on, the ECM is either not getting one of those signals or it itself is the problem, it seems strange to me that there are no diagnostic codesWhat you can do is to check computer grounds, these are all brown/black at the computer, check ground connections on the engine intake system and at the rear of the cylinder head, remove the connectors from the ecm and check for any corrosion or pin damage, open the computer cover and have a look inside, that may turn something up especially if you are in a wet type of climate. Other than what I have suggested it would take extensive testing of individual wire resistance tests between the computer and the other components, this can be very time consuming and the best way to go about this is to get a wiring diagram that has the computer pinouts and wire schematic to locate each component and test the wires, once the wiring is confirmed to be good and the computer is getting the required signal inputs you can conclude that it is the problem and replace it.If you are interested in doing that I would recommend going to ,<techinfo.toyota.com> for about $15 you can access the TIS system for 24 hours and print anything you want including complete troubleshooting and testing of wiring, in other words you have access to the factory wiring and repair manual.
Thank you for the help. I've got more time than money so let me go that route. If I need any more info you will hear from me in a couple of day.
That sounds great, I will be here to answer any questions you may have.
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician