Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

4Runner Sport Edition (V-6): VSC and engine lights are always

Customer Question

VSC and engine lights are always on for our 2006 4Runner. Garage just told us that we need a new revolution sensor. Does this sound right? They want several hundred dollars to replace it...
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. Do you have the specific code numbers that caused the check engine light to come on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a recurring problem. Another repair shop told us to replace the gas cap because air leaks can cause these lights to come on. That repair did not work. At first, the problem was sporadic -- sometimes the lights would be on, sometimes not. Now they are on all the time.
In most states except California Virginia auto parts stores like autozone do free malfunction code reeds can you get to a nearby parts store and have them run a code reader of the system to find out what code is set in the computer? Or you can borrow or even rent one these days from parts stores or you can purchase a generic code reader for less than $60. I really need to know what the code numbers are in order to advise you any further.
Were you able to have the system checked for codes?