Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I am contemplating buying a 2009 Matrix with 81k miles on it. The seller, a friend of min

Customer Question
I am contemplating buying a...
I am contemplating buying a 2009 Matrix with 81k miles on it. The seller, a friend of mine, has had to have the engine replaced, the A/C replaced, among various other repairs. Is it possible that a crappy car can have enough repairs performed so that it becomes a decent car? Or, In your experience, is a crappy car generally always a crappy car? Thank you in advance for your help & answer.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
7/25/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Thanks for postingThe Matrix is a very reliable and well built small car just like the Corolla on which it is based, it's unusual for it to have had an engine replaced and other repairs that you mentioned but were not too specific about, the engines usually last well over 250,000 miles so I'm curious why it needed all this work when it normally only requires normal maintenance and possibly some brake work or other minor repairs. I get the impression that it may have been abused and/or neglected leading up to the engine failure and possibly the other items as well.Doesn't sound like it was well maintained, my advice to you would be to have a repair facility or preferably a Toyota dealer check the car over before you buy it, this may turn up some things that you should be aware of, like frame or suspension issues, if possible get a carfax report, it may be well worth the expense, or you may not decide to do any of that, it depends on how much you trust your friend. I would beware of buying a car that needed this much work before even getting to 90,000 miles. Best of luck.
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech