Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Carmy: i have 85 camry has gone thur 8 distruibtorsin 6 month

Customer Question

i have 85 camry has gone thur 8 distruibtorsin 6 month what could cause them to not spark
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. An overcharge condition will surely cause you problems. Your alternator is supposed to put out, at an absolute maximum, 14.4 volts DC. anything over that can and will damage electrical components. The recommendation I have for you is to have the alternator tested with the engine running, with a professional test machine (not a voltmeter). The alternator needs to have its output voltage measured and the output amperage measured. I would also recommend that you make sure that the ground wire form the battery to the frame is good and clean. It would also be recommended to ground the engine to the battery negative terminal. If you have good alternator output, and a poor ground, the system will spike when it has and does not have enough ground circuit. Those are the recommendations I have for you, and would be the very first things I would be doing if this car was in my shop. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer