Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Scion Xa: I have a 2005 Scion Xa with a rough idle. The idle

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Scion...
I have a 2005 Scion Xa with a rough idle. The idle gets worse when you turn on the air conditioner or shift into gear. Several months ago I had to replace the 3rd ignition coil and at that time replaced all plugs and had the throttle body cleaned. I have read the MAF sensor might be dirty or there might be an air leak. Other suggestions were to get new fuel injectors. Nd to replace all ignition coils. Your thoughts/suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
7/23/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Do you have a scan tool it does active testing or live data? Has the check engine light been on recently? How many miles are on the vehicle? Have you run a cylinder compression test yet?
I do not have scanning tools. I did send the car to a shop a couple months ago when this was more of an intermittent problem. The code read that the 3rd cynlinder had a probelm. We put in nex plugs and the inginition coil for the 3rd cylinder was replaced.
The check engine light did come on.
118,000 miles
No, I have not run a cylinder test yet.
I picked up some MAF sensor cleaner but have not cleaned the part yet. I just inspected the amber bulb which is intact and blew out the sensor with air. I also disconnected the battery and then had the engine idle for about 7 minutes. The engine does not miss like it did when the 3rd ignition coil was bad and it idle around 1,100 RPMs cold. It took abot 5 minutes to warm up and idled around 750-800 RPMs. The vehicle will be driven this afternoon so I will see if the rough idel comes back and then I plan to clean the MAF sensor.
Typo - new plugs
You can rent or borrow code readers from some parts stores. You can even purchase a generic code reader these days for about $60 I can recommend one that does live data. This information is critical to give you further diagnosis. I can give you general ideas but without having data input it's hard to say for certain what's causing the problem. Let me know how you like to proceed.
Well, I guess I will see if I can rent a good one locally.
Go ahead and send me a purchase recommendation too. I will look at my options.
http://www.amazon.com/Launch-301050074-Creader-Reader-Scanner/dp/B0050VONTS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437676438&sr=8-2&keywords=creader&pebp=1437676445461&perid=1NCAJDTH78CZWSBB8HR9 This one is the best bang for the buck it does live data and graphing. Very user friendly.
Great, I just made the purchase. I guess I will be in touch whe I have the live data.
OK
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician