Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota 4 Runner Limited: Please help DIY mechanic. While driving

Customer Question

Please help DIY mechanic. While driving my '97 4 runner after a full stop, at about 30 mph, the engine rpm indicates past 3000 rpm and it will not accelerate past 40 mph. My suspicion is, I have stuck disc brake. I could be wrong. . Rotor and disc pads recently been replaced last two months. Please help
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for posting
Is the check engine light staying on while driving?
Does the engine run normally other than this, does it idle ok?
Have you checked the level and condition of the transmission fluid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No check engine light while driving and the engine runs normal and idling is fine. Transmission fluid level is normal. My 4Runner runs fine except that once in while that it does what I original describe. Like I said before my suspicion is the brakes are getting stuck. Always and always right after it happens the car will drive normally. Also, no ABS light...
Thanks,
Does the engine seem to bog down or does it rev up without an increase in road speed, when this happens have you tried putting it in neutral to see if it stops on it's own, if the brakes are binding up it should slow down and stop without applying the brakes.
If the engine speed increases but the car does not speed up it would indicate a slipping transmission.