Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

I have a 2004 Toyota tacoma, In 2909, is was called in for

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Toyota tacoma, In 2909, is was called in for a frame inspection and was called good. In 2010 it was called in for rustproofing, done on time. this week, I found out it has a hole in the frame and will not pass state inspection. Pictures where send to toyota for a new frame approval. I have been reading bad reports from people who tried to get help from Toyota. My brother also has a Toyota truck waiting for a new frame. Is there any hope?
Submitted: 2 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.There is a very slim chance that Toyota will pay for the repairs on your Tacoma. Very, very slim. The first problem is that this wasn't a 'recall' it was a 'service campaign' which is a big difference. A recall is forever, a campaign is at Toyota's option. The campaign expired in 2012.The next problem is that the cost to replace the frame is $13,000. You can check KBB.com and see what the value is of a Tacoma in your area, but at best it's half what the frame repair would cost. But wait, there's more. What is the lifetime of a vehicle and when does the manufacturer's liability end? Ten years, twenty years? The general opinion in the car business is that ten years is the limit. My opinion is that Toyota should pay for this. Maybe not all of it, but at least some of it. They advertise reliability and how many of their vehicles are still on the road. But their Tacoma is disposable, like a Bic lighter. If you knew this when you bought the truck would you still have bought it? When you talk to Toyota, they're first response will be NO. Ask to talk to a supervisor. Then ask to talk to a manager. Make it easier for them to say yes. Don't be rude or curse. They will 'terminate' the call. That means hang up on you and close the case. Be courteous and insistent.Get your dealership involved. Talk to the General Manager or the owner. You bought the vehicle from them, you trusted them, you expected to get a reliable vehicle from them. If they won't pony up for the frame replacement, hit them up for a trade assist. Something like $5,000 off the price of a new truck.If you get them to buy the frame or do a trade assist, take yourself to dinner someplace really nice.If they don't buy the frame or offer some solution, enter into a class action lawsuit. There are a few of them in the works. Here's one.http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/41522-toyota-tacomas-vulnerable-frame-rust-class-action-lawsuit-says/Then go to: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/File a complaint. This is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration site. This is where recalls get started. It only take 5 minutes to file. Don't just take this lying down. Give them a good fight. Please let me know if you have any additional questions on this or if there is anything more I can do to help you.DJ
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.
Have you decided what you want to do on this yet?
DJ