Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Toyota avalon: My 2001 Toyota Avalon has been experiencing

Customer Question

My 2001 Toyota Avalon has been experiencing vapor lock recently. It has about 127000 miles.Ive already replaced the gas cap. What's wrong?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for postingIs the check engine light staying on?What kind of problem are you having with the car?Other than the gas cap was anything else done recently?There could be many things wrong so I need some more information from you to helpThanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes The check engine light was on when the problem occurred. I called AAA for assistance.The mechanic was able to get the car started by releasing the vapor by reving up the engine.I drove it around for awhile to make sure that it would start next time .Since then, I have experienced the same problem with the same result.
Thanks for the reply
It sounds like there may be a problem with the fuel evap recovery system and this is why the check engine light came on.
You said "Since then, I have experienced the same problem with the same result". What exactly is this problem? Does it not start? Loss of power etc?
It would be best if you could visit an Autoparts store like Autozone and have the computer scanned for trouble codes, they do this at no charge in most states, having this information would greatly help in starting a diagnosis so I can be a little more specific with my answer.