Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Scion Xb: Light /trac system and check engine lights

Customer Question

Light for vac/trac system and check engine lights came on and I hooked to computer and it gave me codes p 0117 and p 0328
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
The P0117 is pointing to a problem with the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) Sensor. It's located on the top, driver's side of the engine. Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, most commonly, replacing the sensor will solve the problem.The P0328 is pointing to a problem with the Knock Sensor. The Knock Sensor is located on the engine block, behind the Stater Motor. Again, inspect the electrical connector and wire harness. It's not very common for either of these items to fail, and even more uncommon at the same time. I'd definitely suggest very carefully inspecting the wiring before condemning either sensor. CLICK HERE for an image of the sensor locations. Please remember, your rating is required. Leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer and let me know how my service was today! You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.