Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Land Cruiser: 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser, what is the

Customer Question
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser, what...
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser, what is the problem when during a right turn. Noise is heard at the rear wheels.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
7/15/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Thanks for posting
How would you describe the noise:
Grinding, knocking, rumbling, droning, screeching, etc.?
At what speed is the noise the loudest?
Thanks.
The noise is like knocking and screeching on the rear wheels both left and right wheels. I do not understand how making right turns affects the rear wheels. What is the connection for right turn in the rear wheels? I making right turns at 20 to 30 miles per hour and hear the noise at the back wheel.
I work on the rear brakes to make sure the brake pads are installed correctly.
Thanks for the replyMake sure that the metal backing plates are not making contact with the brake rotors, if they are touching push them back away from the rotors. The reason for the noise on turns is that the weight of the vehicle shifts and puts more load on one side so if the noise gets louder turning to the right the left wheel will be the cause of the noise, this is also typically due to bad wheel bearings.
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician