Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Highlander: Need help just replaced battery. 2004 toyota highlander

Customer Question

Need help just replaced battery. 2004 toyota highlander v6 3.3.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for postingDoes the engine crank when attempting to start but then not fire up?Does it try to start/backfire, anything like that?You have check for diagnostic codes but there are none present is this correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It will not accelerate no power
Hello, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, had to leave unexpectantly yesterday,please check the fuse marked 'ETCS' in the fuse box under the hood, all fuses are marked in the fuse cover, replace this fuse and disconnect the negative battery for a minute, let me know how this worked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checked that its good. Do u think it might be the map censor?
A maf sensor malfunction should turn the check engine light on, other input sensors will do so as well but you said there are no codes present and I assume the light is not on either. Did this happen right after the battery was replaced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are codes p0 101 and 102 and yes the check engine lights on. When I unplug the censor one that's located above the air intake box the car idles just fine it looks down when I step on the accelerator then when I plug it back in the idols is almost @ zero and then it shuts offThe battery wasn't holding a charge so we replaced it prior to that I had no issues with it idling or accelerating
Thanks for the reply,Here is what I recommend doing,check for any air hoses that may have become disconnected or may have come loose during the battery replacementRemove the air flow meter and clean it using an electronic parts cleaner, spray the INSIDE of the opening where the thin wires areGet a can of air intake cleaner and clean th carbon out from inside the throttle body, open the plate and clean the carbon using a brush, disconnect the battery while doing thisReconnect the battery and start the engine, it will be a little difficult to start so open the throttle to get lots of air in and it will fire up then go drive it around for about 15 minutes and it should return to normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried that and now there's no steady idle it jumps around. There's still no acceleration whatsoever
Hello, sorry to hear that this didn't work out for youCheck the EFI fuse and make sure it has 12 volts to it and is good, the same for the ETCS fuse, check the voltage to the MAF sensor, there should be a black/red wire, it should have 12 vots with the key on, if these check out good replace the MAF sensor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checked voltage both check out ok.
Replaced maf erased codes.Now p0346 crankshaft position code just came on and there is no acceleration at all.Could the crankshaft position sensor be caused by low rpm?Or would I have to replace the crankshaft position sensor?
Thanks for the replyYes the crnk position sensor can be the cause for the problem, since you have a code for it replace the crank position sensor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know where its located. can you send me a pic
let me see what I can do.
www.turboninjas.com/camry/eg2.pdf
please copy this url into your address bar , there is a complete manual for your engine, just scroll down until you get to the part about the crank sensor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and its still doing the same thing. What to do next?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When i push on the gas it bogs down and shits off...
Do you still get the same P0346? Or are there different codes now?
Earlier you mentioned the code P0346 and stated it was for the crankshaft position sensor, I guess I should have double checked because it is for the CAMSHAFT position sensor, Toyota had issued a service bulletin for this code involving recalibration of the ECM, attached you will find a copy of this document, please click on this link: www.toyotapart.com/M.I.L._ON_DTC_P0346_T-EG010-05.pdf> if not clickable please copy it into your browser and let me know if I can answer any other concerns.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are no codes now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Link doesn't work
No problem I'll try a different way, please wait.
www.toyotapart.com/M.I.L._ON_DTC_P0346_T-EG010-05.pdf
highlight and copy this into your address bar, it will take you directly to the copy of the bulletin