Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Have 2005 Toyota 4-runner V8 4WD and the accelerator stopped

Customer Question

Have 2005 Toyota 4-runner V8 4WD and the accelerator stopped working. Also the VSC TRAC & VSC OFF lights are on in the dash. The vehicle will run, drive, shifts gears, but only at idle speed which is also a little higher than it has been. The car goes into gear rather harder than it used to. Makes absolutely NO funny or weird sounds while driving it in this "limp" mode condition what-so-ever. I think it might be the center locking differential stuck on since I can actuate that button and you hear or feel absolutely nothing when doing so. The four tires w/x light does go on and off though, you just can't hear anything happening. What do you think?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The first thing to check when you have npo increase in RPM from the engine when depressing ghte gas pedal is to see if the ETCS fuse (under the hood in the fuse panel) is blown, The ETCS (electronic throttle control system) fuise is what powers up the throttle motor. When you press the gas pedal, the computer commands the throttle motor to open to the amount of movement of the pedal. I woudl recommend you locate the ETCS fuse in the fuse panel under the hood and examine it very closely. If it is blown, replace it. If it blows a second time, you have a wire problem or a shorted out throttle motor. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer