Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I purchased TOAD scanning software with an ELM327 Bluetooth

Customer Question

I purchased TOAD scanning software with an ELM327 Bluetooth interface. I plugged the interface into my 2009 Avalon to setup the Bluetooth connection. After some struggling I got the Bluetooth to work and I proceeded to connect with the PC. At this point
the lights on the dash began to flicker, go black, flicker, go black, until now the dash lights are on and all the systems show to be as fault and the gas gage shows empty. When I turn the key to the start position nothing happens. I've disconnected the battery
for few minutes and reconnected with no change. Have I damaged the ECU? Is there anything I can do?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am reassured by the TOAD tech support that it's not possible for any scanner to change anything, that apparently the car has responded as if someone were attempting to steal it.I need to know how to reset the anti-theft feature.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
I am going to release this for other experts as I dont know the reset procedure on this vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, the problem has resolved itself overnight although the battery was dead-dead this morning. I put the charger on the battery and after a few minutes the car started.So, the original crisis is resolved but I'd still like an explanation for just exactly what happened.