Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota Camry: When I turn the key to start the lights on the…

Customer Question
When I turn the key...
When I turn the key to start the lights on the dash go out like the battery is dead and after a few minutes they come back in still wont start batt is fully charged
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 day by:
7/5/2015
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
If the basically goes electrically dead but then comes back on it's own and you're able to start the engine then the problem is almost surely a connection issue. a poor connection at the battery is usually the cause of what you're having. Everything will often work ok then the starter is engaged and when the high current load hits then connection will be lost.
The first thing you'll want to do is make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. Remove the terminals and make sure the terminals and battery posts are both bare metal, reinstall the terminals and tighten.
If that doesn't take care of the problem then you can turn on the headlamps and wiggle test connections. Pay particular attention to the connections between the cables and battery terminals, the cable going to the power distribution center and chassis grounds. If you can wiggle test a connection and cause the headlamps to flicker or go out then you've found a connection issue.