Lou P
Lou P, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15+ years experience in the automotive field on all types of vehicles with access to diagrams and repair info.
27644750

Camry hybrid: a friend just had his brakes repaired by a "mechani

Customer Question

a friend just had his brakes repaired by a "mechanic" and now has a noise when the pedal is pushed.. even with the key off. I listened and asked what was done lately and he said front pads. he said the only thing the guy did different was he didn't open the bleeders he just pushed the pistons in... can this damage the actuator/accumulator ?? or is it a case of perfect timing ??
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Lou P replied 2 years ago.
you don't have to open the bleeders to retrat the calipers, so i dont see any damage being done there, But what i do see is anytime pads are changed, the caliper slides and the pads must be lubed with brake paste or else creaking and squeaking noises will occur, you are probably hearing the caliper flex when the pedal is being pressed, so i dont think its a huge issue, but they will need to be removed again and paste added. or even the metal shims on the sides of the pads need ot be new, some "mechanics" don't use these and toss them away and i can never figure out why, hopefully your issue is just poor lubrication, let me know if this helps.Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČKeep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it is not a caliper / slide noise , it is the exact noise the abs module makes when braking hard causing the abs to activate.. only it does it when parked and not even moving applying the brakes , or under normal pressure and appling the brakes for a normal stop.. also the noise is louder in the car than outsid eand sounds like its coming from the firewall area....
Expert:  Lou P replied 2 years ago.
ohh ok, wow so it even happens just with the car at a standstill?
Expert:  Lou P replied 2 years ago.
i will have to opt out, i have not personally experienced this and not sure what could cause this, sorry i was not on the same page before. take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Lou..
Expert:  Lou P replied 2 years ago.
no problem, hopefully another expert comes along soon.