Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota: I'm a 48 year old Mechanical Engineer (do it yourself

Customer Question
I'm a 48 year old...
I'm a 48 year old Mechanical Engineer (do it yourself type who hates to take vehicles to dealers for repair) with a 2004 Toyota Corolla (my son's car) that has 175K miles with an automatic transmission that intermittently downshifts (typically from 4th gear to 2nd gear). I get a P0500 code (vehicle speed sensor fault).
Also, when the engine is cold, the RPM will go past 3000 RPM before it shifts into 2nd gear and then gives the P0500 code.
I changed/performed the following repairs/replacement:
- Changed the vehicle speed sensor (new)
- Changed transmission filter and fluid (transmission pan was very clean, no metal shavings, fluid was not burnt)
- Changed the Throttle Position Sensor
None of these fixed the problem.
Took it to Toyota they told me it was an ECU malfunction.
- Changed the ECU (used part)
Toyota reprogrammed the new ECU then said it was the Instrument Cluster not sending the VSS signal to the ECU properly.
- Changed the Instrument Cluster (used part with 122Kmiles)
I need help fixing this intermittent problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
7/2/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
The first thing I must know is if there is ever a speedometer issue. This will tell me if we need to check the VSS wiring for an issue effecting the computers ability to control shift scheduling. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician